Forest Stewardship Council Recognizes Conservation Champions
Awards Celebrate Leaders Creating Change in the Marketplace
At a time when many organizations are building strategies around environmental and social responsibility, the Forest Stewardship Council lauded a dedicated group of leaders in an awards ceremony at Greenbuild 2014 in New Orleans.
Co-hosted with the World Wildlife Fund and Green Sports Alliance, the 10th Annual Design & Build with FSC Awards also added the first FSC Leadership Awards, which were given to organizations and people who have long championed forest conservation and leveraging markets to promote stewardship.
“Like salmon swimming upstream, the award winners have worked tirelessly to protect forests and create change in the marketplace,” said Corey Brinkema, president of the Forest Stewardship Council US. “They are used to being told ‘it can’t be done’ so they know that true leadership requires resolve and determination, usually in the face of strong currents protecting the status quo,” he added.
Winners of the FSC Leadership Award are as follows:
- RoyOMartin for leadership in forest and land management
- Kimberly-Clark for leadership in corporate commitment
- Domtar for leadership in the paper sector
- Scholastic Inc. for leadership in the publishing sector
- C. F. Martin Guitar for leadership in the music industry
- F.D. Sterritt Lumber for leadership in building materials supply in the East
- Sustainable Northwest Wood for leadership in building materials supply in the West
- Columbia Forest Products for leadership in the building materials manufacturing sector
- WWF’s Global Forest and Trade Network for leadership in the nonprofit sector
- Jameson French for strong individual leadership
- Richard Donovan and Dr. Robert Hrubes for long-standing dedication to FSC and leadership through an uncommon partnership
Winners of the 10th Annual Design & Build with FSC Awards are as follows:
- Washington State University Visitor’s Center designed and built by Olson Kundig Architects and Sellen Construction, was the Commercial / Institutional Winner for Creativity and Innovation, for acting as “an advertisement for wood,” according to jury member Lloyd Alter.
- Kum & Go Gas Stations was the Commercial / Institutional Winner for Market Transformation, in recognition of the fact that 95% of the wood in the stores is FSC certified, and that they expect to certify their 100th store under the US Green Building Council’s LEED program by the end of 2014.
- Levi’s® Stadium, home of theSan Francisco 49ers, for being the first stadium home to a professional football team to earn LEED Gold certification as new construction and for using more than $1.8 million worth of FSC-certified products in the stadium.
“These award winners show that we can protect forests and still have plenty of wood and fiber to meet demand,” Corey Brinkema said.
Design & Build with FSC at Greenbuild 2014 was made possible by the generous support of sponsors. The Home Depot was the Platinum Sponsor and Kimberly-Clark was the Gold Sponsor. Collins, Columbia Forest Products, F.D. Sterritt Lumber, Mendocino Redwood Company, RoyOMartin, SCS Global Services, Tork, and US Floors were Silver Sponsors. FSC sincerely appreciates their support.
FSC also wishes to thank the jury members who selected the Design & Build Award winners, including Richard Piacentini (Phipps Conservatory), Derrick Teal (Environmental Design & Construction Magazine), Leigh Ann Purvis (RoyOMartin), Lloyd Alter (Treehugger.com), Erin Ryerson (USGBC Louisiana Greenbuild host committee), Shannon Stage (USGBC Louisiana) and Mara Baum (HOK).
News release provided by Forest Stewardship Council