PLM/ILM CEO and Wife to ‘Brave the Shave’ for Cancer Research Fundraiser
As part of the Brave the Shave event to benefit the St. Baldrick’s Foundation which will be held on April 5, 2016 at the NAMIC CEO Roundtable in Scottsdale, Arizona, John Smith, President and CEO at Pennsylvania and Indiana Lumbermens Mutual Insurance Companies, along with his wife Julie, will be shaving their heads to show solidarity with children fighting cancer.
The St. Baldrick’s Foundation is a volunteer-driven charity committed to funding the most promising research to find cures for childhood cancers and giving survivors long, healthy lives. The St. Baldrick’s Foundation has become the largest private funder of childhood cancer research, dedicating over $178 million to the cause since the year 2000. This is a cause that is near and dear to our hearts.
• Worldwide, a child is diagnosed every three minutes. One in five will not survive.
• More children are lost to cancer in the U.S. than any other disease—in fact, more than many other childhood diseases combined.
• Childhood cancers are different than adult cancers and therefore, must be treated differently.
• There are over a dozen types of childhood cancers, and countless subtypes, making it more challenging for researchers to find cures for every kid.
• By the time survivors reach age 45, more than 95% will have chronic health problems and 80% will have severe or life-threatening conditions due to toxic treatments.
• With the National Cancer Institute (NCI) providing less than 4% of its budget to pediatric cancers, the bulk of responsibility lies with foundations to fund research.
Donations can be made to their team online or can be mailed to PLM/ILM, 2005 Market Street, Suite 1200, Philadelphia, PA 19103, payable to St. Baldrick’s Foundation.
Please stop and consider what amount of money you wouldn’t give to avoid receiving the devastating news of a childhood cancer diagnosis of someone you love. For those that have experienced this, they know that there is no limit. Every dollar donated goes towards the funding of much needed cancer research.
Together, we’re better. Together, we’re Conquering Childhood Cancers.
Source: PLM/ILM Insurance Companies